Tuesday 9 October 2007

Broke Round 4

Broke House

Brandi Harris (G1, Family, Golden Anniversary)
Remington Harris (G1, Family, Golden Anniversary)
Dustin Broke (G1, Finance, Top Criminal)
Joe Broke (G2, Popularity, 20 Pet Best Friends)
Luke Harris (G2)

Last time in the Broke House: Brandi and Remington had a baby boy, named Luke. Beau let slip that Dustin was engaged and Brandi assumed his fiancée was Angela Pleasant. Brandi confessed to Dina that she had sent the hate letters to Bella Goth.

---- *** -----

Brandi is catching up on her emails when Remington seeks her out. Remington wants to talk about the future. It is difficult to find much privacy in the tiny Broke house and so most important conversations take place in the bedroom.



Remington: Sweetheart, now Dustin is coming home I think we should talk more about buying a place of our own.

Brandi: *Sighing* I guess we should. It’s hard to leave this place; it’s been my home ever since I was a little girl. My parents left me the house you know.

Remington: I know, but don’t you think it’s time to move on? This house is hardly large enough for two families. And if Dustin and Angela are getting married then I’m sure they’ll want some space.



Brandi: Yes, you’re right. And maybe it would be nice to live somewhere else. There are so many memories in this house.

Remington: * Speaking quickly * Great! You see, I’ve found the perfect house. It’s not far from here. It has space for a garden and fishing pond. I’ve always wanted to grow my own food. I was thinking we could start a small home business. We could both give up our jobs, live off the land, start a foster home for unwanted kids…

Brandi laughs at Remington’s obvious enthusiasm.



Brandi: Please, slow down! You’re going a bit fast for me. Did you say – give up our jobs and start a foster home?

Remington: Yes. I’ve always dreamed about being self-sufficient. We could grow our own food and sell the excess to our neighbours. And you’re such a great mother I’d really like to foster children. It would be the perfect environment to bring up kids. What d’you think?



Brandi hesitates. This is a big step but she finds the idea of a small-holding attractive. Brandi looks up into her husband’s eager face. How can she refuse him? She slowly nods and Remington lets out a joyful cheer.

----- *** -----

As soon as Dustin arrives home from university, Brandi tells him about their plans.



Brandi: I have some news for you.

Dustin: *Nervously* Actually, I have some news for you.

Brandi smiles knowingly, she is still waiting for Dustin to announce his engagement to Angela Pleasant.

Brandi: Let me go first.

Dustin: Um… OK.

Brandi: You know I’ve always wanted you to have this house. Well, Remington and I have purchased a small farm house not far from here. We will be moving with Luke as soon as we can pack up all our belongings.



Dustin: Wow, Mom. I don’t know what to say.

Brandi: I think it’s time for me to move on. Besides, you may have a family of your own one day and will need more space…

Dustin: Er, right. Actually that brings me to my news. I’m… er… engaged.

Brandi feigns surprise and embraces her son. She still wonders why he kept his engagement secret for so long but now she has a family wedding to look forward to, nothing else matters.



Brandi: That’s fantastic and when do you plan to get married?

Dustin: Well we want to wait until she graduates from University.

Brandi: But I thought Angela graduated at the same time as you did?

Dustin: No, Mom, it’s not Angela. You see… I’m going to marry Bella Goth.



Brandi looks confused. Why is Dustin talking about Bella Goth? Was she so obsessed with the dead Bella that she misheard her son? And then she remembers little Bella Goth, Cassandra’s daughter.

Dustin: Mom are you OK? I hope you’re not too upset. You see, I love Bella very much and I’m sure you will when you get to know her.

Brandi: Yes, yes. Of course I will. Congratulations, Dustin.



Brandi does her best to cover her shock and distress. She is grateful she won’t be around when Bella Goth’s granddaughter and namesake moves into the home she once shared with Skip.

----- *** -----

The next day, Brandi, Remington and little Luke move to their new home. Joe decides to stay with Dustin. He reckons his older brother will be less strict than his Mother. However, Dustin determines to take his guardian duties seriously.

Dustin: Hey, Joe. You’ve been going out on a lot of dates recently.



Joe: Yeah, I know. It’s great. This one chick…

Dustin: *Interrupting* I don’t want to hear the details. I just want to say you need to stay home a few nights and catch up on your homework.

Joe: Aw, come on bro’, it’s not like I’m getting bad grades or anything.



Dustin: Listen, Mom told me to keep an eye on you and that’s what I intend to do. So, no more dates during the week and I want you home before midnight at weekends. OK?

Joe: But, Dustin, there’s this party on Saturday. I can’t be home by midnight.

Dustin: Midnight and not a minute later. Now, that’s my final word.



Joe eyes his brother angrily, wondering when Dustin became so dull and serious.

----- *** -----

After agreeing the ground rules, Joe and Dustin get along well enough. Although, Joe still pushes his brother’s patience from time to time.

Dustin: It’s gone One O’Clock in the morning. Where d’you think you’ve been?



Joe: Sorry, bro. my car broke down and, well you know…



Having given this lame excuse, Joe looks guilty and skulks off to his bedroom. Dustin sighs and gets ready for bed himself. He has too much on his mind to be worrying about his teenage brother. Dustin has returned to a life of crime and is determined to make enough money to rebuild the house. He wants everything to be perfect for when Bella graduates and comes to live with him.

Dustin emails Bella regularly, until one day he notices her replies are becoming less frequent.



Dustin: *Thinking to self* Still no word from Bella? I hope nothing is up. I wonder when she last emailed me?

Dustin taps away on the keyboard, and checks the emails he has saved in a separate folder called “Bella”.



Dustin: Hmm… 10 days ago and that was just a short note. Maybe she’s working too hard? Perhaps, I should go visit and make sure everything is all right. I know – I’ll surprise her!



With this brilliant idea, Dustin switches the computer off and gets ready for bed. That night he dreams about Bella and her surprised delight when he appears on her doorstep.

---- *** -----

Contents Next

4 comments:

Infinity-Nevermore said...

And there's the kicker. Will she be as happy to see him as he'll be to see her? Anyway, I guess Dustin inherited his father's looks. Too bad, but I thin he'll make a good family man. And he's so responsible, looking after his little brother like that. I knew Brandi was going to be distraught when she got the news about little Bella. I hope she can get over her differences with the original to accept her new daughter-in-law.

Kerry said...

MMM, Dustin--is it out of sight, out of mind with Bella? Maybe she does take after her mama that way--I hope things work out for them. Poor Dustin, he has enough on his hands trying to parent his brother, rise in his career, and get ready for a family.

Bubbs said...

Poor Joe having to live in the house with Dustin.

Oh no! Is Dustin about to find out something he doesn't want to find out? I hope Bella is excited to see him. If she is messing around, does that mean there is a Bella Goth Curse on the Broke family??

ASimWen said...

Bella isn't writing and Joe is giving Dustin nothing but a hard time? Heh sounds like Dustin is in for a tough road to follow.